You would be required to:
- Prepare and monitor vessel schedules and port activities after vessel arrival and before vessel departure.
- Handle disputes, demurrage and insurance claims.
- Coordinate vessel movement and operations.
- Ensure all marine shipboard safety and environment policies are in compliance with international regulations.
Typical employers include:
- Shipping lines
- Ship chartering firms
- Ship broking firms
As a maritime operations executive, you work in a fast-paced and challenging working environment. Depending on your company, you may be required to work in shifts.
â€¢ Degree/ Diploma
Any disciplines, but preferably
- Maritime Studies
- Maritime Business
Some examples of related courses in local universities/polytechnics are:
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies (Nanyang Technological University, NTU)
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with business major at NTU
- Diploma in Maritime Business at Singapore Maritime Academy, Singapore Polytechnic (SMA, SP)
A typical career progression for good performers can be:
Operations Executive ->Vessel/Tanker Operator -> Operations Manager
You should possess the following key traits:
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good commercial awareness of the shipping industry and the operations of a vessel
Entry level maritime operations executive can expect to earn $2,000 to $3,000 per month.